Roasted Tomato Soup
2 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes (mix of fresh heirlooms, vine and plum tomatoes)
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 lrg carrot, peeled and chopped to a medium dice (about ½”)
½ cup of Awesome Olive Basil infused EVOO
Salt and pepper
2 yellow or vidalia (sweet) onions, sliced
1-2 tbsp Awesome Olive Extra Olive Oil or Awesome Olive Savoury Butter Olive Oil
1 tbsp butter (you can omit if using Savoury Butter Olive Oil)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken stock
1-2 tbsp butter
2 bay leaves
1 tsp of your favourite dried herbs (optional)
1/2 cup washed, dried and chopped fresh basil leaves, optional
3/4 cup heavy cream (35%), optional
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash, (core, if needed) and cut the tomatoes into halves. Spread the tomatoes (cut side up), garlic cloves, diced carrots to a parchment lined baking tray. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of the Basil olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, or until caramelized.
- For the caramelized onions add butter (if using) and Butter Infused Olive oil to a large pot or large sauté pan over med –low heat. Add onions and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, checking every 5-10 mins until caramelized and turned a golden brown (about 30 – 40 mins).
- Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and carrot from the oven and transfer to a large stock pot, add caramelized onions. Add 3 cups of the chicken stock, bay leaves, and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third.
- If using, add the chopped Basil leaves to the pot. Remove the bay leaves before using an immersion blender, food processor or blender* to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- *If using a blender allow Roasted tomatoes, garlic, carrots and caramelized onions to cool for 10 mins.